Thursday, October 27, 2011

Impressionists, Poets, Penguins- Oh My!

It has been quite an eventful week. Thursday- Sunday, I was in Tulsa for NACA. We saw some pretty incredible acts. We are bringing Melissa Villasenor to campus in April during Hawk Wild Week. She is a hilarious impressionist whose impressions are spot on. She did Wanda Sykes, Justin Bieber, Christina Aguilera, and Owen Wilson… and all of them sounded perfect. What a wide range! I remember seeing her on America’s Got Talent this summer, but when we saw her in person, we were dying! She was SO funny. I can’t wait to share her with the campus in April.

(With Melissa Villasenor)

We also booked a few comedians and a spoken word poet for the fall semester of 2012. It was so strange to book acts for after I graduate. It’s sad to think that I won’t be here anymore to see the talent that we book. It really put things into perspective on just how close graduation is. I am disappointed I will miss the poet. His name is Carlos Robson, and his poems were just incredible. I remember being really touched by one about the challenges our soldiers face. My stepbrother is currently serving in the Army in Afghanistan, and I really connected with this poem. Carlos was able to beautifully tell a story without being political, which I think is rare. Look out for Carlos, coming fall 2012.

I had a blast at NACA. It was great to pass the torch onto our younger members of e-board. Upon our return to campus, it was time for me to prepare for my sorority’s philanthropy week. The philanthropy that we sponsor is the American Heart Association. We had some great events planned for the week to raise money for AHA. My favorite was Hoops for the Heart, a student vs. faculty basketball game.
(The penguin suit at Hoops for the Heart)
The mascot of our sorority is the penguin. I was a co-host for this event, and I wore the penguin suit. It was really a freeing experience.  When you’re in a costume, you get the courage to do things you might not normally do. My penguin disguise allowed me to come out of my shell. I was dancing like it was nobody’s business. We had a really great turnout, and we raised a lot of money for AHA. As a senior, I was happy to see the success of the event. Our sorority is still learning the ropes here on campus, and I think we did a great job. I have absolutely loved my experience with RU Greek Life. I will miss this part of RU so much, and I can’t wait to see how much our sorority continues to grow in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment