Sunday, October 2, 2011

Bittersweet Symphony

I knew that my senior year would be filled with bittersweet moments. I didn’t anticipate them quite this early in the school year, though. Last night, SAB sponsored the annual homecoming dance. It’s similar to most high school homecoming dances. Everyone gets dressed up and grabs a group of their friends to celebrate school spirit with a night of dancing and fun. I thoroughly enjoyed the evening, but there were multiple times when I couldn’t help but feel overwhelmed.

One such moment occurred during the Run DMC song “It’s Tricky”. Since I was a freshman, this song has been very important to my friends in my sorority and me. It has become more or less “our song”. When the DJ played this song last night, all of us gathered in a big group and shouted the words like we have always done. The same feelings of excitement and belonging rushed over me. However, a new emotion was in the mix as well: sadness.
(At the dance with some of my sorority sisters)

In the middle of the song, I felt sad that this would be the last time I would get to sing this song with my friends at homecoming. I became incredibly nostalgic for the girls that had graduated last May and were no longer there to dance with us. I realized that, next semester, I would be one of those girls. All at once, I felt happy and sad; happy to be able to enjoy another moment like that with my friends and sad that we probably won’t get the chance to do it again.

Toward the end of the dance, other members of the SAB executive board and I were sitting at a table waiting for the last few songs to be played. As usual, the DJ played “Don’t Stop Believin’”. Watching the students, many of whom were freshmen, belt out the song with their friends brought a smile to my face. I couldn’t believe that I had been in their shoes just a few short years ago. My time here at Rockhurst has gone by way too fast. I find myself lost in my life’s timeline, wondering where the last few years have gone. However, my time has not been filled with regret. Quite the contrary.

The biggest reason I am going to miss Rockhurst is that it has become home to me. In this school, I have found a place where I truly belong. I’m not referring to membership in a particular club or organization but to the school as a whole.  I know this would not have been possible if I had gone to a larger univeristy. Because of RU's size, I have really been able to find my place and to grow as a person.
Throughout my experience here, I have been blessed to make strong connections with other people in the RU community. The friends I have made will forever have a place in my heart. I am so thankful for the staff members who have watched me grow as a leader and who always encouraged and supported me. After the dance last night, I have been reminded of the importance of treasuring my time here at Rockhurst. May is going to be here before I know it, and I plan to cross that stage at graduation knowing that I took advantage of all RU had to offer, most especially the relationships I formed with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment