Wednesday, October 12, 2011

For the Love of the Game

Last week was quite exciting. I am a huge fan of the Philadelphia Phillies baseball team, and as of last week they were still in the playoffs. Even though I now live in St. Louis, I am not a Cardinals fan. I am originally from the East Coast, and my mom’s entire family is from Philly. Growing up, we frequently visited the City of Brotherly Love, and my childhood is filled with Philly memories: running up and down the stairs of the Art Museum like Rocky, being downtown for the St. Patrick’s Day parade with my grandfather dressed like a leprechaun, and, of course, eating Rita’s water ice and Pat’s cheesesteaks until I could no longer move. To me, being a Phillies fan isn’t just about baseball. It’s about holding onto a part of my childhood that seems very distant now that I live in the Midwest.

(The St. Pat's Day Parade in Philly in 1994. I'm the one in the front right. I know you're jealous of my bowl cut lol.)

Before the big loss to the Cardinals on Friday the 7th, it still seemed that the Phillies might go all the way. My family was fortunate enough to come across tickets to the NLDS game on Tuesday the 4th. My boyfriend (who is a Cards fan) and I drove out to STL after class on Tuesday for the game. This was my first Phillies playoff game, and I was overwhelmed. It was incredible just to be in the stadium while my favorite team battled to continue on the journey to the World Series.  It was an amazing game, and they won that night. My mom and I had to quietly celebrate the victory since the stadium was filled with Cards fans. 
(My boyfriend and I at Game 3 of the NLDS at Busch Stadium.)

Unfortunately, the Phils ended up losing the series on Friday. It was pretty upsetting. Contrary to what Tom Hanks might have said, there is crying in baseball. It was hard to understand why the team with the best record in baseball wasn’t going to the World Series. Like Charlie Manuel, the manager of the Phils, said after the loss, “I feel empty inside.” It was a difficult loss to say the least, especially since I had no other Phillies fans with whom to commiserate. However, I look forward to next year, especially Spring Training. This will be my third year in a row going to Phillies Spring Training in FL.

Many students at RU are from St. Louis, and it is difficult to find support from other Phillies fans in the middle of KCMO. However, there is at least one other Phillies fan at RU to whom I can always turn when it is time to celebrate our victories or lament our losses. That fan is Father Curran, the President of the University. When I think about my RU experience, I can’t help but realize that RU is truly a special place. How many schools have you heard of where the President of the university regularly interacts with students, eats at their lunch tables, and helps carry their fridges and microwaves on move-in day? Fr. Curran’s involvement with the students is truly unique to RU. It is one of my favorite things about Rockhurst, and our shared love of the Phillies is something I will always cherish.

Until next year, I have chosen to be a fan of the game, recognizing that anything can happen in baseball. Only 4 months until pitchers and catchers report to Spring Training in Clearwater :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment