Sunday, February 26, 2012

A Whirlwind Start

Second semester has started off with a bang! So much has happened during the past few weeks. On February 11, my sorority had its annual Northern Lights dance. This is the first dance during the school year that our pledge sisters get to attend. I know it sounds cheesy, but this is one thing I had really missed from high school. I love the opportunity to get dressed up and then hang out and dance with my friends all night. It is just another great part about Greek Life here at RU. This year, Northern Lights was at the Kansas City Zoo. It was a really cool venue, and everyone had a blast. I can honestly say it was the most fun I have ever had at a sorority dance here at RU. I knew it was my last one, and I definitely made the most of it.

(At Nothern Lights with some of my sorority sisters)

The next weekend was Mardi Gras, and I returned home to St. Louis for the parade festivities. My mom, sister, and I like to go every year. We sit in the family section, which is very different from the “rowdy” section. This has sort of become a family tradition for us. My birthday is at the end of February so the parade is usually right around that time. We have been going to the parade since I was in third grade, and we always have a great time. I love seeing the creativity of the floats/ parade participants. My favorite one this year was from the Banana Bike Brigade in which they very creatively put their dogs on a bicycle. We had a wonderful time, and it’s always nice to be home for a weekend.

 (My sister, my mom, and me at the Mardi Gras parade in St. Louis)

(I thought this was so creative!)
This past Wednesday, SAB sponsored an Open Mic Night here on campus. We had about 10 student acts perform their various talents, most of which were singing and instrument playing. I love this event because I really enjoy seeing the talents of my fellow RU students. There isn’t really another time or place for this to happen, so it’s definitely a unique and special experience. We had a great turnout, and all of the acts were truly awesome. It takes a lot to get up on stage and put yourself out there, but they did a tremendous job. Open Mic Night also served as SAB’s Rockstock Reveal. Rockstock is SAB’s biggest event of the entire school year: it is our annual spring concert, and it is even bigger than Fall Concert. This year, we will be having Jack’s Mannequin play a free show on campus at the end of April. SAB E-board has known about this since November, but we had to keep it a secret. It was really difficult but totally worth it. Everyone is super excited about the concert, including me. It will be the perfect ending to my last semester at RU.  

No comments:

Post a Comment