Saturday, April 7, 2012

This One's for the Girls

During my years at RU, I have had the immense pleasure of gaining 100+ amazing sorority sisters. Being a part of Greek life has been a hugely special aspect of my college experience. I can honestly say that I would not have joined a sorority if I went to a bigger school. There’s something very different and unique about Greek life at Rockhurst. At RU, it is completely unlike the picture that is painted of sororities in movies and on TV. It’s hard for me to believe, but I recently celebrated my three-year Initiation anniversary. That special event was followed by my last spring formal dance as well as the Initiation of fifteen wonderful new sisters. As I look back on my time at RU, I can’t help but smile when I think about how much my sisters have positively impacted the last three years of my life. 
 
(Initiation day my freshman year. Hard to believe it's been 3 years already!)

I have to admit that I definitely had my reservations when I was considering joining a sorority freshman year. Everything I had seen or heard about Greek organizations indicated that it was not for me. During my first semester at RU, I had gotten to know a lot of great upperclassmen through SAB. After Recruitment (Rockhurst has Recruitment in the spring, not the fall), I was presented with the opportunity to join a sorority on campus. When I realized how many people I actually knew in that sorority, I began to reconsider my previously-held ideas. I liked and respected these upperclassmen, and their values and beliefs were very much in line with mine. I decided to give it a try, and I can honestly say it was one of the best decisions of my life. Not only have I really enjoyed my time in my particular sorority, but I have enjoyed interacting with the other sororities and being part of RU’s Greek community in general. It is something in which I can really take pride, and I don’t think that can be said of Greek communities at all universities.

(Some of the seniors at our last spring formal dance)

(Our newly-initiated sisters and their big sisters)

Sometimes I hear about the Greek experiences of my friends who attended other colleges or universities. Many of them attend larger schools, and their experiences have been so different from mine. Unfortunately, many of them have not been as positive as mine. I believe the people at Rockhurst have made a special effort to ensure that the Greek experience is as positively rewarding for the students as possible. Being in a sorority at RU has provided me with leadership experience, knowledge on how to work with all groups of people, and an incredible support system. Our graduation stoles for our sorority just came in today. As I look forward to graduation, I think it is only appropriate that I will be able to wear my letters with my graduation cap and gown. It has been such an important part of experience, and something I honestly think I would have missed out on had I attended any school other than Rockhurst.

No comments:

Post a Comment